Investing / China internet stocks
Aug 02, 2021
China internet stocks
Any of you think it's a good time to get into China internet and tech stocks? They have been dropping and I'm beginning to wonder if it's near bottom. I'm generally bullish on the China tech sector. Would love to know what you all think here.
Replies (5)
J
Aug 02, 2021
Imo, China tech and internet stocks like BABA, Tencent will always be volatile. One minute there's some jump in political tension, another China regulators are cracking down on data privacy as we are seeing now, and then the next it's hunky dory. Volatility in Chinese names are here to stay for a long. If you're going to buy, then hold it for as long as you can. Generally I do think there's merit to holding Chinese stocks or broad exposure (via ETF that is market cap weighted) in your portfolio. China makes up 38% of emerging markets -- it's too big to ignore and it's only going to get bigger. More and more US companies are also generating a large portion of their revenues from China.
Aug 08, 2021
@Jan274 Right, if you are an investor looking to expand to international holdings, China should be on your list to get exposure to!
Aug 02, 2021
The China market as a long term diversification strategy could be good, especially if you hold mostly US names. I hold China through an emerging market fund I've been invested in through the ETF IEMG. China makes up about a third of the country exposure in the fund.
Sep 06, 2021
@Holly740 This might be the best way to play it. There seems to be more "crack-downs" by the Chinese government and since I originally posted here there's been the limit on video games played by kids and the privacy data crack-down. I like your way of playing them because you have just enough to participate in China companies while not taking a bet one way or another.
Oct 11, 2021
I've become less bullish as we've seen the government crackdown on certain companies and also meddle in people's life (video game limits on kids). On one hand the opportunity seems huge because they are massive and economy growing but on the other hand their government is promoting hand-picked companies, population is decreasing and real estate seems to be blowing up. I'm staying away except for any allocation I may have from my emerging market fund.