Finny logo
Finny logo
Dibs:
Dibs:
Discuss
I
Is it okay to get a will done online?
Aiming to get my life in order this year. Started with a budget (check) and I'm now onto a will. How do you guys get a will done? Is it okay to do it online or should I go with a lawyer? Also how do I know if I need a will or a trust? Maybe this is a basic question here. Any advice? If it helps, I'm in my early 30s, married, no kids and don't plan on it anytime soon, my wife and I have good paying jobs, and we rent for the time being. Thanks!
+ Emoji
S
I don't see why not. There seem to be many of these services online that offer wills. Wills are pretty straightforward too as long as you follow state and federal law. I'd be surprised if any of the online providers weren't compliant. I assume they are cheaper than going to a lawyer.
+ Emoji
I agree with @Sasha777. Online wills are legit and do comply with laws. They aren't all the same though so it will require some due diligence on your part if you wanted to go that route. My personal opinion is that it's a great way to get educated as well (although at Finny we're also building out these relevant lessons too, so stay tuned). Examples of such resources online are companies you've probably heard about like Rocket Lawyer or lesser-known innovative ones like Trust & Will Another consideration here is that you might want to leverage a service that could also support you if you want to create a trust later on. Based on what you shared, a will may be plenty for your situation now!
💡
+ Emoji
@Jess225 I'm looking into Rocket Lawyer myself. Frankly it's cheaper than the others I've seen and seems easy to do. Agreed it's legit, just make sure you also look at reviews of the online providers.
❤️
+ Emoji
T
Another option for you is to check with your employer to see if they have an "legal" services as part of their benefits to employees. I went this route as my company used a legal vendor named ARAG. I got my will then trust done with top estate planning lawyers within the ARAG network. For 2 years, I paid $25/month through work and it was deducted from payroll. That's $600 I spent for services worth well over $5,000! I didn't re-enroll into the service this year because I'm all set for now.
+ Emoji