Finny logo
Dibs:
Dibs:
Discuss
S
Jumping around from job to job & how that's perceived
What's the minimum number of years you should be at a company so you're not seen as a life-long job jumper? I'm 32 and I'm already on my 4th company and considering moving again. I know Millennials can get a bad rap and I worry about how it looks on my resume. Thoughts about this and tips on how to manage this part of the conversation with a future employer should it come up?
❤️
+ Emoji
M
As someone who stayed at a company for years because I thought it would look bad on my resume... life too short to worry about things like that if you're miserable. Not worth an extra day.
❤️
+ Emoji
P
It comes down your story and why you changed jobs. If you have a good reason for every change, doesn't matter how long you were there. If a company finds the jumping a problem, then you know its not a fit for you. Good luck!
👍
+ Emoji
S
@Paula552 Love this. Thanks for it!
+ Emoji
I was a recruiter a lifetime ago and I'll just say it really depends on what the company is looking for and what they value. If I saw someone with only a year at several companies, I'd see them as someone who gets bored easily and a flight risk. Tbh I wouldn't see them as dependable. That's just the truth of the matter unless the company doesn't care because they just need people to execute fast. That's my quick take!
👍
💡
+ Emoji
S
@John971 This is what I was worried about. I have compelling stories about each of my moves. For what it's worth I am looking for a job that will be a long term fit. Jumping can get tiring and not something I want to be doing every couple yrs
+ Emoji