7-day free trial: Get unlimited comparisons, and stock, ETF and mutual fund analyses for just $15/month, without ads. Start a trial. Go ad free!
15 important things you should know about ALPS SGDJ ETF
- 3-year return above the benchmark
- 5-year return above the benchmark
- Low net assets
Before we start: if you’re looking for SGDJ “stock” price, you can quickly find it out by visiting Finny and typing "SGDJ quote". If you’re looking for a quick scoop on SGDJ "stock" (price chart, key stats, buy or sell analysis and holdings), go to Finny and look for "SGDJ". You’ll get all this info in one place.
Are you looking to buy or sell SGDJ? Or perhaps you’re looking for SGDJ fact sheet, and learn about its alternatives? If so, you came to the right place.
In this SGDJ ETF review, we’ll address key questions our readers have been asking us about this fund, above and beyond what you can find in its prospectus, and on Morningstar or Yahoo Finance.
Here is what you’ll be able to find in this review:
- Fact Sheet: SGDJ performance, returns, expense ratio, holdings and dividend yield;
- Analysis: SGDJ buy or sell; the pros and cons of investing in SGDJ ETF;
- Alternatives: other ETFs and mutual funds you should consider as alternatives to SGDJ.
And here is the list of questions we’ll answer:
- Describe ALPS ETF Trust Sprott Junior Gold Miners ETF (SGDJ).
- What is SGDJ underlying index?
- What are SGDJ holdings?
- What is SGDJ performance? What are SGDJ historical returns?
- How many up and down years did SGDJ have historically?
- What is SGDJ dividend yield?
- What is SGDJ expense ratio?
- What is SGDJ tax efficiency (tax-cost ratio)?
- What is SGDJ beta? How would you assess SGDJ risk?
- What is SGDJ Sharpe ratio?
- What is SGDJ Finny Score? SGDJ buy or sell?
- What are the pros of investing in SGDJ? What are SGDJ buy reasons?
- What are the cons of investing in SGDJ? What are SGDJ sell reasons?
- Compare and contrast: SGDJ vs GDXJ.
So let’s start. Scroll down to the question that interests you the most.
1. Describe ALPS ETF Trust Sprott Junior Gold Miners ETF (SGDJ).
The Fund seeks investment results that correspond generally to the performance of its underlying index, the Sprott Zacks Junior Gold Miners Index. The Underlying Index aims to track the performance of junior gold and junior silver mining companies whose stocks are traded on major U.S. or Canadian exchanges.
3. What are SGDJ top holdings?
SGDJ has 36 stock holdings and 0 bond holdings.
The top 10 holdings represent 57.73% of total assets. Here are the top holdings:
|Greatland Gold PLC||GGP.L||8.83%|
|PT Aneka Tambang (Persero) Tbk||ANTM||7.74%|
|K92 Mining Inc||KNT.TO||6.62%|
|Hecla Mining Co||HL||5.49%|
|Equinox Gold Corp||EQX.TO||5.26%|
|Eldorado Gold Corp||ELD.TO||5.19%|
|Dundee Precious Metals Inc||DPM.TO||4.83%|
|Sabina Gold & Silver Corp||SBB.TO||4.65%|
|Teranga Gold Corp||TGZ.TO||4.61%|
|Victoria Gold Corp||VGCX.TO||4.51%|
4. What is SGDJ performance? What are SGDJ historical returns?
SGDJ has generated the following returns:
- 1-month return is 10.56%;
- 3-month return is 0.76%;
- 1-year return is 62.87%;
- 3-year return is 16.22%;
- 5-year return is 21.41%.
5. How many up and down years did SGDJ have historically?
In the last 10 years, SGDJ had 3 up years and 1 down year.
6. What is SGDJ dividend yield?
SGDJ yield is 0.49%.
7. What is SGDJ expense ratio?
SGDJ expense ratio is 0.5%. The expense ratio of a fund is the total percentage of fund assets used for administrative, management, and all other expenses.
8. What is SGDJ tax efficiency (tax-cost ratio)?
- 1-year ax cost ratio is 0.29%;
- 3-year ax cost ratio is 0.12%.
9. What is SGDJ beta? How would you assess SGDJ risk?
- 3-year beta is 1.29;
- 5-year beta is 1.14.
11. What is Finny Score? buy or sell?
Finny Score is N/A. Our quantitative analysis shows 2 reasons to buy and 1 reason to sell. Finny Scores are not available if there are insufficient data points from the analysis.
12. What are the pros of investing in SGDJ? What are SGDJ buy reasons?
The following are SGDJ strengths from our perspective:
- SGDJ 3-year return is 16.22%, which is higher than the 3-year return of the benchmark index (MSCI ACWI NR USD), 9.8%.
- SGDJ 5-year return is 21.41%, which is higher than the 5-year return of the benchmark index (MSCI ACWI NR USD), 12.41%.
13. What are the cons of investing in SGDJ? What are SGDJ negatives?
The following are SGDJ weaknesses from our perspective:
- SGDJ net assets are $106.40 million. This fund is not a popular choice with retail investors.
14. Compare and contrast: SGDJ vs GDXJ.
Both SGDJ and GDXJ are ETFs. SGDJ has a lower 5-year return than GDXJ (21.41% vs 24.72%). SGDJ has a lower expense ratio than GDXJ (0.5% vs 0.54%). Below is the comparison between SGDJ and GDXJ.
|Segment||Equity: Global Gold Miners||Equity: Global Gold Miners|
|Management Style||passive (index-based)||passive (index-based)|
|Underlying Index||Sprott Zacks Junior Gold Miners Index||MVIS Global Junior Gold Miners Index|
GDXJ profile: The Fund seeks to replicate as closely as possible the price and yield of the Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners Index. The Fund will normally invest at least 80% of its total assets in companies that are involved in the gold mining industry.
For further information, check out SGDJ vs GDXJ comparison details.