7-day free trial: Get unlimited comparisons, and stock, ETF and mutual fund analyses for just $14.95 a month, without ads. Start a free trial. Go ad free!
15 important things you should know about Alger AHSCX mutual fund
- 3-year return above the benchmark
- 5-year return above the benchmark
- 10-year return above the benchmark
- 15-year return above the benchmark
- Low net assets
- High expense ratio
- Sales load and/or distribution fees
Before we start: if you’re looking for AHSCX “stock” price, you can quickly find it out by visiting Finny and typing "AHSCX quote". If you’re looking for a quick scoop on AHSCX "stock" (price chart, key stats, buy or sell analysis and holdings), go to Finny and look for "AHSCX". You’ll get all this info in one place.
Are you looking to buy or sell AHSCX? Or perhaps you’re looking for AHSCX fact sheet, and learn about its alternatives? If so, you came to the right place.
In this AHSCX mutual fund review, we’ll address key questions our readers have been asking us about this fund, above and beyond what you can find in its prospectus, and on Morningstar or Yahoo Finance.
Here is what you’ll be able to find in this review:
- Fact Sheet: AHSCX performance, returns, expense ratio, holdings and dividend yield;
- Analysis: AHSCX buy or sell; the pros and cons of investing in AHSCX mutual fund;
- Alternatives: other ETFs and mutual funds you should consider as alternatives to AHSCX.
And here is the list of questions we’ll answer:
- Describe Alger Funds: Alger Health Sciences Fund; Class C Shares (AHSCX).
- What are AHSCX holdings?
- What is AHSCX performance? What are AHSCX historical returns?
- How many up and down years did AHSCX have historically?
- What is AHSCX dividend yield?
- What is AHSCX minimum initial investment amount?
- What is AHSCX expense ratio?
- Does AHSCX have any sales loads or 12b-1 distribution expenses?
- What is AHSCX tax efficiency (tax-cost ratio)?
- What is AHSCX beta? How would you assess AHSCX risk?
- What is AHSCX Sharpe ratio?
- What is AHSCX Finny Score? AHSCX buy or sell?
- What are the pros of investing in AHSCX? What are AHSCX buy reasons?
- What are the cons of investing in AHSCX? What are AHSCX sell reasons?
So let’s start. Scroll down to the question that interests you the most.
1. Describe Alger Funds: Alger Health Sciences Fund; Class C Shares (AHSCX).
The Fund seeks long-term capital appreciation. The Fund invests at least 80% of its net assets in equity securities of companies of any market cap that are engaged in the health sciences sector, including health care services, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment and supplies, and applied research and development.
2. What are AHSCX top holdings?
AHSCX has 93 stock holdings and 0 bond holdings.
The top 10 holdings represent 33.58% of total assets. Here are the top holdings:
|UnitedHealth Group Inc||UNH||4.62%|
|Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc||VRTX||4.27%|
|Eli Lilly and Co||LLY||3.66%|
|Bristol-Myers Squibb Company||BMY||3.19%|
|Gilead Sciences Inc||GILD||2.99%|
|Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc||TMO||2.64%|
|Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||SRPT||2.61%|
3. What is AHSCX performance? What are AHSCX historical returns?
AHSCX has generated the following returns:
- 1-month return is 3.52%;
- 3-month return is 7.77%;
- 1-year return is 30.72%;
- 3-year return is 15.32%;
- 5-year return is 12.52%;
- 10-year return is 15.23%;
- 15-year return is 11.08%.
4. How many up and down years did AHSCX have historically?
In the last 10 years, AHSCX had 9 up years and 1 down year.
5. What is AHSCX dividend yield?
AHSCX yield is 0%.
6. What is AHSCX minimum initial investment amount?
AHSCX minimum initial investment amount is $1.00K.
7. What is AHSCX expense ratio?
AHSCX expense ratio is 1.93%. The expense ratio of a fund is the total percentage of fund assets used for administrative, management, and all other expenses.
8. Does AHSCX have any sales loads or 12b-1 distribution expenses?
AHSCX 12b-1 distribution fee is 1. AHSCX front-end sales load is 0. AHSCX back-end sales load is 1.
9. What is AHSCX tax efficiency (tax-cost ratio)?
- 1-year ax cost ratio is 2.05%;
- 3-year ax cost ratio is 1.76%.
10. What is AHSCX beta? How would you assess AHSCX risk?
- 3-year beta is 0.90;
- 5-year beta is 1.01;
- 10-year beta is 0.79.
12. What is Finny Score? buy or sell?
Finny Score is 57. Our quantitative analysis shows 4 reasons to buy and 3 reasons to sell it, resulting in the Finny Score of 57.
13. What are the pros of investing in AHSCX? What are AHSCX buy reasons?
The following are AHSCX strengths from our perspective:
- <strong>AHSCX 3-year return</strong> is 15.32%, which is higher than the 3-year return of the benchmark index (S&P 500 TR USD), 11.64%.
- <strong>AHSCX 5-year return</strong> is 12.52%, which is in line with the 5-year return of the benchmark index (S&P 500 TR USD), 13.04%.
- <strong>AHSCX 10-year return</strong> is 15.23%, which is higher than the 10-year return of the benchmark index (S&P 500 TR USD), 13.48%.
- <strong>AHSCX 15-year return</strong> is 11.08%, which is higher than the 15-year return of the benchmark index (S&P 500 TR USD), 9.13%.
14. What are the cons of investing in AHSCX? What are AHSCX negatives?
The following are AHSCX weaknesses from our perspective:
- <strong>AHSCX net assets</strong> are $11.70 million. This fund is not a popular choice with retail investors.
- <strong>AHSCX expense ratio</strong> is 1.93%, which is not negligible. Is the fund expensive to you, and does it align to your investment strategy?
- Warning: this fund has a 12b1 and deferred sales fee. The maximum 12b1 fee is 1%, while the maximum deferred sales load is 1%. A 12b-1 fee is an annual marketing or distribution fee on a mutual fund. Deferred sales load is a back-end sales charge and is imposed when an investor redeems shares.