Get comparisons, analyses and forecasts for stocks, ETFs & funds
15 important things you should know about American Funds CGNGX mutual fund
- No Bull case arguments for now!
- Low net assets
- 3-year return below the benchmark
- 5-year return below the benchmark
- High expense ratio
- Sales load and/or distribution fees
Before we start: if you’re looking for CGNGX “stock” price, you can quickly find it out by visiting Finny and typing "CGNGX quote". If you’re looking for a quick scoop on CGNGX "stock" (price chart, key stats, buy or sell analysis and holdings), go to Finny and look for "CGNGX". You’ll get all this info in one place.
Are you looking to buy or sell CGNGX? Or perhaps you’re looking for CGNGX fact sheet, and learn about its alternatives? If so, you came to the right place.
In this CGNGX mutual fund review, we’ll address key questions our readers have been asking us about this fund, above and beyond what you can find in its prospectus, and on Morningstar or Yahoo Finance.
Here is what you’ll be able to find in this review:
- Fact Sheet: CGNGX performance, returns, expense ratio, holdings and dividend yield;
- Analysis: CGNGX buy or sell; the pros and cons of investing in CGNGX mutual fund;
- Alternatives: other ETFs and mutual funds you should consider as alternatives to CGNGX.
And here is the list of questions we’ll answer:
- Describe American Funds Portfolio Series: American Funds Growth & Income Portfolio; Class ABLE-A Shares (CGNGX).
- What are CGNGX holdings?
- What is CGNGX performance? What are CGNGX historical returns?
- How many up and down years did CGNGX have historically?
- What is CGNGX dividend yield?
- What is CGNGX minimum initial investment amount?
- What is CGNGX expense ratio?
- Does CGNGX have any sales loads or 12b-1 distribution expenses?
- What is CGNGX tax efficiency (tax-cost ratio)?
- What is CGNGX beta? How would you assess CGNGX risk?
- What is CGNGX Sharpe ratio?
- What is CGNGX Finny Score? CGNGX buy or sell?
- What are the pros of investing in CGNGX? What are CGNGX buy reasons?
- What are the cons of investing in CGNGX? What are CGNGX sell reasons?
So let’s start. Scroll down to the question that interests you the most.
1. Describe American Funds Portfolio Series: American Funds Growth & Income Portfolio; Class ABLE-A Shares (CGNGX).
The Fund seeks to provide long term growth of capital while providing current income. The Fund invests in a mix of American Funds in different combinations and weightings. The underlying American Funds will predominately consist of equity funds in the growth, growth and income, equity income and balanced categories.
2. What are CGNGX top holdings?
CGNGX has 0 stock holdings and 0 bond holdings.
The top 6 holdings represent 100.03% of total assets. Here are the top holdings:
|American Funds Invmt Co of Amer R6||RICGX||24.26%|
|American Funds Capital World Gr&Inc R6||RWIGX||24.05%|
|American Funds Capital Income Bldr R6||RIRGX||15.20%|
|American Funds Growth Fund of Amer R6||RGAGX||15.16%|
|American Funds Bond Fund of Amer R6||RBFGX||10.96%|
|American Funds American Balanced R6||RLBGX||10.40%|
3. What is CGNGX performance? What are CGNGX historical returns?
CGNGX has generated the following returns:
- 1-month return is 1.83%;
- 3-month return is 7.21%;
- 1-year return is 14.02%;
- 3-year return is 8.80%;
- 5-year return is 9.93%.
4. How many up and down years did CGNGX have historically?
In the last 10 years, CGNGX had 8 up years and 2 down years. See Performances
5. What is CGNGX dividend yield?
CGNGX yield is 1.99%.
6. What is CGNGX minimum initial investment amount?
CGNGX minimum initial investment amount is N/A.
7. What is CGNGX expense ratio?
CGNGX expense ratio is 0.65%. The expense ratio of a fund is the total percentage of fund assets used for administrative, management, and all other expenses. See Expenses
8. Does CGNGX have any sales loads or 12b-1 distribution expenses?
CGNGX 12b-1 distribution fee is 0.3. CGNGX front-end sales load is 5.75. CGNGX back-end sales load is 0.
9. What is CGNGX tax efficiency (tax-cost ratio)?
- 1-year ax cost ratio is 1.59%;
- 3-year ax cost ratio is %.
10. What is CGNGX beta? How would you assess CGNGX risk?
- 3-year beta is 1.22;
- 5-year beta is 1.23.
12. What is Finny Score? buy or sell?
Finny Score is 0. Our quantitative analysis shows 0 reasons to buy and 5 reasons to sell it, resulting in the Finny Score of 0.
13. What are the pros of investing in CGNGX? What are CGNGX buy reasons?
We don't see any strong reasons to buy CGNGX.
14. What are the cons of investing in CGNGX? What are CGNGX negatives?
The following are CGNGX weaknesses from our perspective:
- <strong>CGNGX net assets</strong> are $1.40 million. This fund is not a popular choice with retail investors.
- <strong>CGNGX 3-year return</strong> is 8.8%, which is lower than the 3-year return of the benchmark index (S&P 500 TR USD), 13.64%.
- <strong>CGNGX 5-year return</strong> is 9.93%, which is lower than the 5-year return of the benchmark index (S&P 500 TR USD), 14.57%.
- <strong>CGNGX expense ratio</strong> is 0.65%, which is not negligible. Is the fund expensive to you, and does it align to your investment strategy?
- Warning: this fund has a 12b1 and front-end sales fee. The maximum 12b1 fee is 0.3%, while the maximum front-end sales load is 5.75%. A 12b-1 fee is an annual marketing or distribution fee on a mutual fund. Front-end sales load, also known as sales charge, is a fee paid when mutual funds shares are purchased. Those fees are subtracted from your total investable assets.