7-day free trial: Get unlimited comparisons, and stock, ETF and mutual fund analyses for just $14.95 a month, without ads. Start a free trial. Go ad free!
15 important things you should know about Alger SPEDX mutual fund
- 3-year return above the benchmark
- Low net assets
- 5-year return below the benchmark
- 10-year return below the benchmark
- High expense ratio
- Sales load and/or distribution fees
Before we start: if you’re looking for SPEDX “stock” price, you can quickly find it out by visiting Finny and typing "SPEDX quote". If you’re looking for a quick scoop on SPEDX "stock" (price chart, key stats, buy or sell analysis and holdings), go to Finny and look for "SPEDX". You’ll get all this info in one place.
Are you looking to buy or sell SPEDX? Or perhaps you’re looking for SPEDX fact sheet, and learn about its alternatives? If so, you came to the right place.
In this SPEDX mutual fund review, we’ll address key questions our readers have been asking us about this fund, above and beyond what you can find in its prospectus, and on Morningstar or Yahoo Finance.
Here is what you’ll be able to find in this review:
- Fact Sheet: SPEDX performance, returns, expense ratio, holdings and dividend yield;
- Analysis: SPEDX buy or sell; the pros and cons of investing in SPEDX mutual fund;
- Alternatives: other ETFs and mutual funds you should consider as alternatives to SPEDX.
And here is the list of questions we’ll answer:
- Describe Alger Funds II: Alger Dynamic Opportunities Fund; Class A Shares (SPEDX).
- What are SPEDX holdings?
- What is SPEDX performance? What are SPEDX historical returns?
- How many up and down years did SPEDX have historically?
- What is SPEDX dividend yield?
- What is SPEDX minimum initial investment amount?
- What is SPEDX expense ratio?
- Does SPEDX have any sales loads or 12b-1 distribution expenses?
- What is SPEDX tax efficiency (tax-cost ratio)?
- What is SPEDX beta? How would you assess SPEDX risk?
- What is SPEDX Sharpe ratio?
- What is SPEDX Finny Score? SPEDX buy or sell?
- What are the pros of investing in SPEDX? What are SPEDX buy reasons?
- What are the cons of investing in SPEDX? What are SPEDX sell reasons?
So let’s start. Scroll down to the question that interests you the most.
1. Describe Alger Funds II: Alger Dynamic Opportunities Fund; Class A Shares (SPEDX).
The Fund seeks long-term capital appreciation with emphasis on risk-adjusted returns and lower volatility. The Fund invests primarily in US and foreign equity securities (i.e., taking long positions). The Fund also identifies securities that it believes will underperform and will sell these securities short.
2. What are SPEDX top holdings?
SPEDX has 125 stock holdings and 0 bond holdings.
The top 10 holdings represent 25.91% of total assets. Here are the top holdings:
|iShares Russell 1000 ETF||IWB||2.15%|
|Alphabet Inc A||GOOGL||2.14%|
|Paylocity Holding Corp||PCTY||2.13%|
|Waste Connections Inc||WCN.TO||1.96%|
|TransDigm Group Inc||TDG||1.76%|
3. What is SPEDX performance? What are SPEDX historical returns?
SPEDX has generated the following returns:
- 1-month return is -1.01%;
- 3-month return is 6.00%;
- 1-year return is 27.59%;
- 3-year return is 13.55%;
- 5-year return is 10.62%;
- 10-year return is 8.63%.
4. How many up and down years did SPEDX have historically?
In the last 10 years, SPEDX had 7 up years and 3 down years.
5. What is SPEDX dividend yield?
SPEDX yield is 0%.
6. What is SPEDX minimum initial investment amount?
SPEDX minimum initial investment amount is $1.00K.
7. What is SPEDX expense ratio?
SPEDX expense ratio is 2%. The expense ratio of a fund is the total percentage of fund assets used for administrative, management, and all other expenses.
8. Does SPEDX have any sales loads or 12b-1 distribution expenses?
SPEDX 12b-1 distribution fee is 0.25. SPEDX front-end sales load is 5.25. SPEDX back-end sales load is 0.
9. What is SPEDX tax efficiency (tax-cost ratio)?
- 1-year ax cost ratio is 0.87%;
- 3-year ax cost ratio is 1%.
10. What is SPEDX beta? How would you assess SPEDX risk?
- 3-year beta is 0.53;
- 5-year beta is 0.56;
- 10-year beta is 0.56.
12. What is Finny Score? buy or sell?
Finny Score is 17. Our quantitative analysis shows 1 reason to buy and 5 reasons to sell it, resulting in the Finny Score of 17.
13. What are the pros of investing in SPEDX? What are SPEDX buy reasons?
The following are SPEDX strengths from our perspective:
- <strong>SPEDX 3-year return</strong> is 13.55%, which is higher than the 3-year return of the benchmark index (S&P 500 TR USD), 11.64%.
14. What are the cons of investing in SPEDX? What are SPEDX negatives?
The following are SPEDX weaknesses from our perspective:
- <strong>SPEDX net assets</strong> are $33.30 million. This fund is not a popular choice with retail investors.
- <strong>SPEDX 5-year return</strong> is 10.62%, which is lower than the 5-year return of the benchmark index (S&P 500 TR USD), 13.04%.
- <strong>SPEDX 10-year return</strong> is 8.63%, which is lower than the 10-year return of the benchmark index (S&P 500 TR USD), 13.48%.
- <strong>SPEDX expense ratio</strong> is 2%, which is not negligible. Is the fund expensive to you, and does it align to your investment strategy?
- Warning: this fund has a 12b1 and front-end sales fee. The maximum 12b1 fee is 0.25%, while the maximum front-end sales load is 5.25%. A 12b-1 fee is an annual marketing or distribution fee on a mutual fund. Front-end sales load, also known as sales charge, is a fee paid when mutual funds shares are purchased. Those fees are subtracted from your total investable assets.